Monday, May 9, 2011

Another Mother's Day.....*side eye*

Mother's day is always an interesting day for me. I'm not extremely close to my mom like some people I know, nor am I separated from her entirely. We're more like aunt/niece, but that's not the point of this.

Every year the convo goes like this:

Person: Happy Mother's day!
Me: Thanks but I'm not a mother.
Person: Really? Why not? Don't you want to have kids?
Me: Sure, if it happens.
Person: Well you better get to working on it!

Now....one may say this is just an honest mistake because one would assume that with my age (and I can only assume my race) that I would already have some chirren. But I don't. I will gladly give you a pass for assuming that I do, but when you start to question me on it, that's where I draw the line. Personally, it's none of anyone's business why I don't have kids. It's not abnormal for someone to not have any, or not want any for that matter. I'm not required to procreate. I'm not going to grow old alone because I didn't have children. I'll be just fine regardless.

The other conversation I hear a lot is from women that are mothers and became mothers when they were young. My TL on twitter stays full of  comments about women with no kids needing to STFU bragging about it because it isn't anything special and how maybe we need to address all the abortions that have been done to keep us that way......

*cracks knuckles*

Firstly, I want to stress that I don't judge anyone about their kids. I don't care if you had them when you were 14 or 40. You do you. It's perfectly acceptable for someone to do a #proudmommytweet, but it's not acceptable for us to be on #teamnokids? Really? Trust me when I say I am very proud to not have any kids yet. I decided at a young age that I wasn't going to have kids until I was married. I'm 35 and have never been married. I also have never been pregnant-EVER. Never had an abortion, never took a pregnancy test outside of a doctor's office. I have never had a pregnancy scare in my entire sexually active life. I've kept my BC prescription up to date, made sure condoms were used correctly, the whole nine yards. I made an effort to not have a baby daddy....and no, I'm not looking down on those that do. I'm just saying I made an effort on my part to not be in that position. Everyone is entitled to be proud of their personal accomplishments. Yours may be that you're a great mother and are raising wonderful children, but one of mine is the fact that I don't have children out of wedlock. It's my personal choice and yes, I take pride in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment